Sunday, August 15, 2010

Day 10: Hiking from Mokowanis Lake to Cosley Lake


Another shorter hike of 5.6 miles brought us to Cosley Lake Campground, which we had passed two days earlier.  This beauty-of-a-camp is highly sought after (difficult to get a reservation), and we were surprised to find out that two out of four sites remained empty.  Our only company was a group of three college students from North Dakota.  Nick, Ron, and Greg all took a "bath" in the chilly lake water.  It's hard to express just how painfully frigid this water was, and, I'm sorry to say, we decided to keep the video footage of Ron screaming like a girl (when he submerged) as a family secret.  It could possibly be the next You Tube sensation, but some things are best kept private.


Our campsite sat directly on the rocky shore of Lake Cosley, and the fellows spent quite a bit of time fishing and skimming rocks.  Ground squirrels and rabbits were plentiful here, and Greg befriended a special squirrel he named Porker.  I enjoyed walking the beach and doing some soul searching.  With sights like these, it's hard not to.  Mostly, I was contemplating how these (almost) untouched places seem to stand still in time... how a bystander like myself could witness a similar scene a hundred years ago or a hundred years from now.  Of course the glaciers are melting (experts predict that all of GNP's glaciers will be gone by 2020), but the character of the landscape endures.  Once again, I was reminded of my status as a speck on the continuum of time.

2 comments:

  1. A trip like this makes you appreciate electricity, hot showers, and indoor plumbing. It's a shame that they all had to come at the expense of the scenery and wildlife. Progress? I wonder. Glad you're seeing and enjoying all that nature has to offer. Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello....long time no blog! Your pictures are amazing! I have to backtrack and read everything, but I wanted to check in. This last picture of the four of you is a great picture! Who took it, or is it a timer?? Nate is home and says "hello." I was just reading the comment above...I'm not sure how long I could make it without electricity....but I know all of you can tough it out! The scenery is worth it. Enjoy:) Love ya.

    ReplyDelete